Did you know that schools across Arizona are struggling to fill their teacher vacancies? Luckily, you can help your local schools by becoming a substitute teacher in Arizona!
Substitute teaching can be perfect if you want to:
- Change your career
- Start something you’ve always dreamed of
- Make some money on the side
- And for many more reasons!
If you’re in Arizona and want to become a substitute teacher, we have all the answers for you. Our ultimate guide will walk you through the substitute application process quickly and easily, just keep reading!
Table of contents:
- Why substitute teach?
- How to become a substitute teacher in Arizona
- Subbing for special education in Arizona
- Substitute teach with Scoot Education
- How teaching with an agency can make your life easier
- Ready to sub with Scoot?
Why substitute teach?
There are a variety of reasons why people choose to become substitute teachers. Subs work closely with children, choose their own schedules, and can gain valuable experience before becoming full-time teachers.
Make a difference in your community
Substitute teachers are incredibly valuable to their school districts and students.
When teachers have to call out of work, it is the substitutes who help keep schools open.
Furthermore, even if you only see your students for one day out of the week, you become an essential person who helps keep students’ education on track.
Learn transferable job skills
Regardless if you want to be in education long-term or are just doing this in between jobs, substitute teaching can help you expand your resume.
As a sub, you will pick up on valuable career skills such as public speaking, thinking on your feet, and problem solving. These abilities can help you no matter where you go in your career.
Create your own schedule
Arguably the best part about being a substitute teacher is the fact that you can make your own schedule. You can pick and choose which assignments you want to take on and which days you want to take off.
This flexibility is especially helpful for those who have other responsibilities in their life!
Earn extra money
This goes hand-in-hand with creating your own schedule. Since you can choose the hours and days you would like to work, you can easily substitute teach on the side of another job you have.
Have fun everyday
In contrast to a regular 9-5 office job, substitute teaching comes with exciting adventures every day. Different teaching assignments can bring you to new schools, students, and peers, giving you the opportunity to learn something new every day!
How to become a substitute teacher in Arizona
The teacher certification process in Arizona is super simple. All you need is the Substitute, PreK-12 Certificate. Once you get this teaching certificate, you can keep renewing it every 6 years so you don’t have to complete the application all over again.
The only requirement to getting your Arizona substitute teaching certificate is having a Bachelor’s degree in ANY subject area. It doesn’t need to be education-related.
There is also no additional testing, formal teacher education, or prior student teaching experience required to apply for the Substitute, PreK-12 Certificate.
It is estimated that Arizona schools can barely fill one in five teacher vacancies. With your help, we can fill these vacancies and support our students!
Step 1) Create an account on the Arizona Department of Public Services website
First, before you can apply for an Arizona substitute certificate, you must create an account on the Arizona Department of Public Services’ (AZDPS) website. Follow the steps below to create your account:
- Visit the AZDPS page for creating an account and when asked for the type of account you would like to create, select “Individual Personal Account”, then click “Continue”.
- Then fill out the rest of the questions with your information. Make sure everything is correct!
- Follow the next step to apply for an IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Step 2) Get your IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
The IVP (Identity Verified Prints) Fingerprint Clearance Card is required of anyone who is applying to be a substitute in the state of Arizona.
- To start your application, you must visit the AZDPS FCC Form.
- Select “Request a Replacement / Apply for a Card for Myself or Someone Else” and click “Continue”.
- Sign into your AZDPS account and select “Apply for a New Clearance Card” under “What do you need to do?”
- Then, select “IVP” under “Do you require an IVP Clearance Card?”
- Next, select “No” under “Have you ever had an IVP Clearance Card before?”
- At the end of the Privacy Act Statement, click “Continue”.
- After that, under “Reason(s) for Applying”, fill in the information that fits you best.
- Substitutes who plan to teach with Scoot Education can fill in the information as shown:
- Fill out the rest of the questions with your information. Make sure everything is correct!
- “Employment Information” is optional but Scoot substitutes can fill in the information below:
- Scoot Education
- 410 N. Scottsdale Road, #1000
- Tempe, AZ 85281
- (602) 888-7976 ext 301
- Under “Fingerprinting Preference”, you have the option to select where you are located. Select the option that fits you best.
- Under “Applicant Signature”, click the box to authorize custodians of records to release information and sign your name under it.
- Review your application and click “Continue to My Order” to enter your payment details to pay the $67.00 fee.
- Scoot subs: Select the option to “Submit & Pay by Credit Card” and keep your receipt! Scoot will reimburse this fee on your next paycheck!
Woohoo! Your electronic application has been created and will be matched with your physical fingerprints.
You will receive an email shortly from AZDPS with a 10-digit reference number. Please follow the link in the email to select a location to have your fingerprints taken.
Step 3) Submit your transcripts to the Arizona Department of Education
In order to be eligible for an Arizona substitute certificate, all substitute teachers must have a Bachelor’s degree.
You must request that your accredited college or university submit your official transcripts. These transcripts should document your Bachelor’s degree or more advanced degree and be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Arizona Department of Education – Certification Unit
P.O. Box 6490
Phoenix, AZ 85005
Got foreign transcripts?
You can request a course-by-course evaluation completed by an approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Agency to identify the equivalent degree in the United States and submit them directly to email@example.com.
Bachelor’s degree transcripts and foreign transcripts submitted by the applicant via the online portal or by email are not considered official so make sure that your institution submits your transcripts directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 4) Create an account on the Arizona Department of Education (AZED)’s website
Once your IVP fingerprint is on file, you can create an account on the AZED’s website.
Your fingerprint must be verified and on file before you can complete this step!
You can use your application number to check on the status of your fingerprints or wait until you get the physical card in the main to know when your fingerprints have been verified.
Step 5) Submit your application
Get excited! Once your IVP fingerprint is on file and you have created your AZED account, you can submit your documents:
- A photocopy of your IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Your transcripts
Once all your documents are submitted, your Arizona substitute certification application is complete and all you need to do is wait 3-8 weeks for your application to get approved.
After your application is approved, you’ll receive your Substitute, PreK-12 Certificate in the mail. Now, you are ready to teach!
Become a special education substitute teacher in Arizona
If you want to substitute teach for special education classes, you must get the Special Education Certificate.
If you want to work with Scoot Education as a special education substitute teacher, you can speak with Scoot’s Special Education Consultant for more details:
Substitute teach with Scoot Education
Here at Scoot Education, we make it easy to become a substitute.
Our only requirements are:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 3 professional references including at least one supervisor
- A completed Scoot application form which you can access below
- You will be requested to get a fingerprint clearance card – Scoot will reimburse this fee!
Subbing with Scoot means access to more opportunities, more school districts and more excitement!
How teaching with an agency can make your life easier
Scoot Education wants to make sure that you feel completely supported in your work as a substitute teacher in Arizona. If you contact Scoot and let us know that you want to become a Scoot sub, we’ll give you a full reimbursement for the $67.00 IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card fee. In addition, you will:
- Have access to your own Scoot consultant, an expert in the education field who can answer all your questions. Whether you need help getting through the Substitute, PreK-12 Certificate application process or need advice when teaching, your Scoot consultant has your back!
- Get exclusive access to Scoot Camp, our voluntary teacher preparation program that helps educators feel prepared for success in the classroom. Through Scoot Camp, you will get access to exclusive resources from experts in the education field, all from the comfort of your own computer. This free professional development covers three important subjects:
- Behavior management
- Special education
- Trauma-informed teaching
- Be in full control over your schedule with our app Scoot 2 Work. We have no availability minimum so you can work as much or as little as you want!
- Enjoy weekly pay every Friday via direct deposit straight into your bank account!
In short, substitute teachers are in high demand everywhere, making this the perfect field to start working immediately.
Apply to substitute teach with Scoot Education and you can start subbing with great perks!