Whether you’re already a passionate educator or a newcomer curious about teaching, becoming a substitute teacher gives you flexibility to explore the profession of teaching on your own terms.
In this guide, we’ll explain what you need to become a substitute teacher in the vibrant city of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Let’s begin, shall we?
Table of Contents:
- Apply online
- Go through a phone screen
- Submit 3 references
- Sign offer letter!
- Upload official documents
- Pass background checks
(Pst, ready to start subbing with Scoot Education?)
Is substitute teaching right for you?
Substitute teaching offers a unique opportunity for those who are interested or passionate about education but seeking flexibility in their career. It can be an incredibly rewarding experience, contributing to the growth of young minds and growing your own skills.
As a substitute teacher, you’ll have the chance to:
- Positively impact your community: Substitute teachers play a vital role in schools, helping to provide education to kids when teachers are absent. Your presence is essential, even if you only see students for a day each week.
- Make a difference for students: Playing a part in a student’s personal growth is immensely rewarding. Whether it’s helping them grasp a challenging concept or providing guidance during difficult times, you’re helping them grow into their full potential.
- Have fun every day: Substitute teaching brings daily excitement and variety. You’ll work with different grade levels, subjects, and teaching styles, ensuring your job is always interesting and personally enriching.
- Learn transferable job skills: Subbing hones skills like public speaking, adaptability, and classroom management. These skills are valuable in any profession, making substitute teaching an excellent way to develop your skill set.
- Work on your own terms: One of the best aspects of substitute teaching is the flexibility it offers. You have the freedom to create your own schedule, choosing when to work and when to take time off, making it a great fit for your lifestyle.
If any of this sounds appealing to you, then substitute teaching might be right for you! Keep reading to find out how to become an educator today.
New Orleans substitute teacher requirements
Before we dive into the steps to start subbing with us in NOLA, it’s helpful to know everything you need. Here’s an overview of the minimum qualifications when you sub with Scoot:
- A high school diploma or equivalent or higher
- Pass a state and federal background check
- Obtain 3 references (one is from a supervisor)
Substitute teachers in Louisiana do not have a state certification requirement. So you don’t need to obtain one.
There is no age requirement to become a sub with us in New Orleans! However, if you apply to different parishes or school districts, you will need to meet their age requirements which are typically around 20-21 years of age.
You also don’t need to have prior teaching experience to start subbing in Louisiana. However, having some would help you secure a substitute teaching position and set you up for success.
Steps to become a substitute teacher in New Orleans
Requirements differ across different school districts and agencies in Louisiana. We’ve simplified the process to get you started as fast as 1 week!
Here’s how you can become a substitute teacher in New Orleans with Scoot Education.
Step 1: Apply online
First, begin your application with Scoot online.
You’ll answer some screening questions and upload your resume (if you have one). If you don’t have one, you can fill out our auto-generated questions that build a resume for you.
Then we’ll see if you’re a good match with us. Some things we check for are:
- What kind of teaching experience do you have?
- Do you hold any teaching credentials?
- Do you hold at least a high school diploma or equivalent or higher?
- If you don’t have classroom experience, have you worked with children before (i.e. tutoring, summer camp, sports)?
Step 2: Go through a phone screen
If your application passed the review stage, you’ll then hop on a phone screen with one of our consultants. What is the phone screen?
The phone screen is just a quick 15-minute call to get to know you. We’ll ask about:
- What you’re looking for
- Where you’re located
- Permits or credentials you might have
Your answers inform us if we have the kind of work that fits your needs.
Step 3: Interview
After you’ve passed your phone screen, we’ll set up a virtual interview with you. This interview will be 30-45 minutes long over video call.
We’ll ask you about your ideal commute time, preferences for grade levels, and more to make sure that you only get assignments that suit your needs!
Before the interview
To streamline the interview process, please upload proof of any teaching credentials you may have. Credentials are NOT needed, but can boost your hiring chances and earn you a higher pay down the road.
Step 4: Submit 3 references
Next, you’ll upload 3 professional references. One of them must be from a current or former supervisor.
Make sure to list people who have worked closely with you and can speak positively about who you are as a person and teammate.
Step 5: Sign offer letter!
That’s it! Once we’ve reviewed your references talking about how awesome you are, we’ll send your official offer letter to your email inbox.
Once you sign, we’ll lead you through your onboarding steps to become an active Scoot sub ready for bookings.
Step 6: Upload official documents
We want to ensure you’ll start earning your paycheck soon after you start subbing.
You’ll upload these items:
- Identification documents
- Payroll information – all information is stored securely in our systems
Step 7: Pass background checks
Lastly, you’ll pass a criminal background check by getting fingerprinted!
Your submitted fingerprints will be checked with the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) databases for any criminal records.
How do I get fingerprinted?
To pass a background check, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office anytime between 8 AM to 3:30 PM (appointments are not required)
- Bring a valid form of identification and the unique code we’ll send to you via email.
- Follow their instructions to get fingerprinted.
- Upload the receipt or other document that shows completion of your background check to us.
How much does the fingerprint appointment fee cost?
Fingerprinting fees cost around $40 when you go through the school district’s fingerprinting process.
If you apply with Scoot Education, we reimburse the entire fingerprinting cost in your first paycheck. You don’t need to pay any upfront cost!
How will I know I passed the background check?
Once you’ve uploaded a copy of your results to your applicant portal, we’ll be checking closely for your results to get back. It should take no longer than 72 hours.
Once we see you’ve passed, you become a fully activated Scoot sub! This means you can start subbing immediately.
Substitute teacher pay
A substitute teacher’s pay in New Orleans depends on assignment length, type of role, school, and certificate level. Here’s a breakdown of substitute teacher pay when you work with Scoot:
|Certification / Education Level||Half day Pay*||Half Day Long Term Pay*||Short Term Pay||Long Term Pay**|
|Support/Aide Position||GED minimum||$60||$66||$120||$132|
– Associate’s Degree
– Technical Diploma
– Baccalaureate Degree
– 48 credit hours
– Passing of LA para assessment
|Lead Teacher||No Certificate||$80||$88||$160||$176|
|Lead Teacher||Louisiana Teaching Authorization||$88||$97||$175||$193|
|Special Education Teacher||LA Special Education Certificate with SpEd subject area||$105||$116||$210||$231|
*Assignments scheduled for four hours or less are classified as half-days
**Assignments expected to last longer than 15 consecutive school days are classified as long-term assignments
On average, Louisiana substitute teachers are paid $110 per full day or $25,921 annually.
The highest-earning substitute earns $38,777 per year according to Indeed.
Substitute teach with Scoot Education
How teaching with an agency can make your life easier
Subbing with an agency means feeling supported in your work as a substitute teacher and getting benefits that subs without agencies don’t have.
Here are some of the benefits of subbing with Scoot Education:
- Save time and energy – Applying with Scoot is less complicated than becoming a temporary employee for the district or other agencies.
- Get 1-on-1 support with a dedicated Scoot consultant, an expert in the education field who can answer all your teaching-related questions. Whether you need help becoming a sub or need advice when teaching, your Scoot consultant has your back!
- Receive exclusive access to Scoot Camp, our voluntary teacher preparation program that helps educators feel prepared for success in the classroom. This free online professional development course covers three important subjects:
- Behavior management
- Special education
- Trauma-informed teaching
- Be in full control of your schedule with our app Scoot 2 Work. We have no availability minimum so you can work as much or as little as you want.
- Enjoy weekly pay every Friday via direct deposit straight into your bank account!